A Damselfly Question (fwd)

Thomas A. Artiss tartiss@black.clarku.edu
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 06:53:58 -0500 (EST)

Odonata - http://www.listbot.com/cgi-bin/subscriber

Can anyone help this person? Please reply directly to them at the e-mail
address enclosed as i don't think that he's a listbot subscriber.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 00:41:00 -0600
From: Tim Sager <tsager@star-telegram.com>
To: tartiss@black.clarku.edu
Subject: A Damselfly Question

Dear Dr. Artiss:

This is going to sound odd, but could you possibly give me the names of
any species of North American damselflies that crawl down the stalks of
aquatic vegetation to lay their eggs.  I have read of this behavior in
damselflies, but the species named are all found in Great Britain (where

the critters are also known, rather charmingly, as "damosels"). In all
descriptions I have found of North American species the females are
described as laying their eggs in the surface film or depositing them in

vegetation on the water's surface. A couple of the reports from the U.K.

also describe some females swimming from plant to plant and remaining
submerged for as long as 40 minutes. Are you familiar with any North
American species that engage in this behavior?

Any information you could provide or resources you could point me toward

will be greatly appreciated.

Tim Sager
Fort Worth, Texas