floating on water surface (was Wing Position)

Jsilsby1@aol.com Jsilsby1@aol.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:07:11 EST

Odonata - http://www.listbot.com/cgi-bin/subscriber

What you recorded of the behaviour in male Calopteryx aequabilis 'perching'
on the surface of the water could very possibly be part of his courtship
display.  It is well known that, as well as ensuring the prospective mate is
of the same species, a male's courtship performance may allow a female to
choose between males according to some quality or qualities unknown to us.  I
have one of Georg Rueppell's lovely CDs in which there is a sequence showing
a territorial male C.haemorrhoidalis landing on the surface of the water and
allowing himself to be carried downstream; this, according to what Georg told
me, lets a prospective mate gauge the strength of the current and from this
she would be able to weigh the survival chances of her future offspring.

Best wishes       Jill Silsby