floating on water surface (was Wing Position)

Dr. Kelvin F. Conrad Dr. Kelvin F. Conrad" <k.f.conrad@talk21.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 16:07:43 -0000

Odonata - http://www.listbot.com/cgi-bin/subscriber

I'm not sure what the original question was, but Tom Herman and I described
the floating / mating behaviour of C. aequabilis in boring, ethological
detail in:

Conrad, K. F. and Herman, T. B. (1987) Territorial and reproductive
behaviour of Calopteryx aequabilis Say (Odonata:  Calopterygidae) in Nova
Scotia, Canada.  Advances in Odonatology 3: 41-50.

The text is rather dry, but the paper includes some rather good ink drawings
by Anne Woolaver that illustrate the behaviour nicely. Some of Tom's
colleagues in subsequent years published a similar study of C. amata.

If the observations discussed originally discussed were in Nova Scotia, I
wouldn't mind hearing more about them.

Dr. Kelvin F. Conrad
2 Jayworth House
140 Liverpool Rd