submerged oviposition

Dr. Kelvin F. Conrad Dr. Kelvin F. Conrad" <
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:46:11 -0000

Odonata -

I became interested in submerged vs. surface oviposition with the
publication of Ola Fincke's now classic paper on 'rescue' of submerged
females by male Enallagma hageni. (Something I had not seen myself until 2
summers ago when I saw male E. cyathigerum doing it here in the UK). Jon
Waage later suggested that submerged oviposition might help shape mating
systems in his comparison of Calopteryx. maculata (surface) and C. dimidiata
(submerged). Since then, I've always been interested in how common, how
widespread, and how plastic submerged oviposition was. Surface and
subsurface oviposition each must carry their own risks and I've always
wondered how females 'decide' to submerge or not. All theories, comments and
observations welcome...

Dr. Kelvin F. Conrad
2 Jayworth House
140 Liverpool Rd
Reading, Berks.

phone: 01189-265313

To unsubscribe, write to
Applying to college this year?
Apply online at and enter the Tuition
Sweepstakes! You could win $80,000 for tuition to the college of your