floating on water surface

John Acorn janature@compusmart.ab.ca
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:52:39 -0700

Odonata - http://www.listbot.com/cgi-bin/subscriber

Hi Folks,

Dennis Paulson wrote:

>Thanks for the good info on flyfishing, John.  This statement is puzzling,
>though:  "Second, an angler tries very hard to get the fly to drift without
>"drag"-- in other words, passively with the current.  The more motionless
>the "dimples," so to speak, the better the chances are that the trout will
>strike the fly."  I'm not questioning this, but it seems odd, as you'd
>think that movement against or across the current would be a sure
>indication of the presence of a live critter, while passive drifting could
>be any number of nonarthropod bits (a huge fall of seeds, for example).

This is partly true-- good point.  At least in fly fishing, one does try to
skitter such things as caddisfly imitations, and mouse imitations, when
fishing for trout.  But for the most part, anything that gives the
impression of moving against the current will be ignored.  On the other
hand, people who fish still waters for bass (the largest of the
centrarchids) will skitter big puffy, floating flies over the water to
attract them (something that does not work for trout in still water, but
does work for pike-- Esox).  In other words, it depends on the fish species,
the habitat, and the prey item, it seems.

John Acorn