Recent publications

Joshua Stuart Rose
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:03:31 -0500 (EST)

Odonata -

Hi Oders,

I saw a couple of odonate-related publications in journals other than
Odonatologica in the last couple of weeks. In case you missed 'em:

Clausnitzer, Viola 1999. A checklist of the dragonflies (Odonata) of
Kenya. African Journal of Ecology 37 (4): 400-418. Might come in handy
for anyone travelling to that part of the world. Ends with the remarks
that 10 of the 12 new species reported for Kenya in this publication are
rainforest dwellers, and that researchers should do more work on the
rainforest species while some are still there to study. I'll volunteer if
someone buys me a plane ticket...

Marden, James H., Gail H. Fitzhugh, Melisande R. Wolf, Kristine D.
Arnold, and Barry Rowan 1999. Alternative splicing, muscle calcium
sensitivity, and the modulation of dragonfly flight performance.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 96 (26): 15304-15309. A
little light reading... ha ha. This article claims to locate a protein
which regulates the responsiveness of muscle to calcium release from
neurons. I think we discussed on this listserv that dragonflies generally
use only a small percentage of their aerobic capacity during feeding
flight, and that one of the only times they get anywhere near 100%
capacity is during mating and territorial defense in males. The authors
say that their protein regulates this: the body transcribes the gene a
lot and makes lots of proteins in mature males, allowing full activity,
but not in immatures, which do not need to mate or defend territories. I
did not see any mention of what might be happening in females, or why
immatures might not need higher muscle response for escape from
predators, but the article was pretty dense...

One last thing: I'm hoping to do some field work in the Rio Grande Valley
of Texas this summer. If anyone out there has experience in that area,
and would not mind answering some questions about logistics, please let
me know.

I'm heading out to drive into that rare occurrence, a blinding snow
flurry in the Carolina Peidmont. Rarer still, it's our fourth snowfall in
ten days! I guess we won't be seeing any adult odonates around here for a

Happy reading!

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Zoology