Fw: "do dragonflies bite?"

Dennis Paulson dpaulson@ups.edu
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:55:55 -0800

Odonata - http://www.listbot.com/cgi-bin/subscriber

And one more anecdote, responding to Dana Denson's story about being bitten
by aeshnid larvae.  That has happened to me, too, but much more commonly,
they twist around and stab you with their appendages, enough so that I've
dropped several of them.  I consider that a very common larval odonate
defense (but I've seen it only in aeshnids, which are so flexible), just
another thing to mention to the unwary.

Dragonflies are dangerous, and perhaps it's a good thing the protodonates
aren't still around!

Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 253-756-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-756-3352
University of Puget Sound                       e-mail dpaulson@ups.edu
Tacoma, WA 98416