Function of the legs in Odonata (feeding)

Tim Vogt
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:57:10 +0000

Odonata -

As with others who have commented on this topic, I have not seen a
"leg basket" method of prey capture.  What I have observed with
aeshnids and corduliids is small prey caught with the tarsi
and perhaps lower portions of the tibiae with the prey quickly
taken to the mouth and the legs subsequently retracted.   I find it
difficult to imagine how prey capture could be initiated by the
mouthparts.  If odonate mouths were prognathous instead of
hypognathous, the nightjar analogy would seem more viable.  Is anyone
aware of any video recordings that show  prey capture initiated with
the mouthparts?

Tim Vogt
Research Associate
Illinois State Museum
Research and Collection Center
1011 East Ash Street
Springfield, Illinois  62703
United States

Office: 217-524-7904  Fax: 217-785-2857

To unsubscribe, write to
Get a Free PC with a 3-year subscription to The Microsoft Network
(after rebates). The new PC features a 400MHz Celeron, 32MB, 4GB, 40x
CD, 3D Graphics and a 56K modem.  Come to