[Odonata-l] (no subject)

Dennis Paulson dpaulson@ups.edu
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:14:36 -0700

Hi, Martin.

I don't know if you'll be able to identify the female Enallagma, even
though it's a great photo.  E. doubledayi seems extremely unlikely,
as it's a species restricted to the coastal plain, mostly well to the
east.  I don't think it's been recorded in Louisiana, and there is
only one record from Texas; it's in your area, but it's certainly
anomalous as a very isolated record.  The record is definite,
collected by Sid Dunkle, and it is certainly worthwhile to look for
more of them, but I think it will have to be a male to identify it
from a photo.  Specimens would be of value to further document its
Texas occurrence.

The second unknown is easier.  To me it looks like an immature
Enallagma signatum.  The orange and yellow Enallagmas (signatum,
vesperum, sulcatum, and pollutum) are blue when immature.

>Dear All,
>I'd like to thank all who have helped me with earlier odes - it's
>terrific to have such generous experts on online.
>Here are two more damsels for your consideration; the first one has
>me wondering if this species-pair is separable in the field/from
>photos?; the second one is a real teaser (to me):
>Best regards,
>Martin Reid
>Fort Worth, Texas
>Odonata-l mailing list

Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 253-879-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-879-3352
University of Puget Sound                       e-mail dpaulson@ups.edu
1500 N. Warner, #1088
Tacoma, WA 98416-1088