[Odonata-l] Dragonfly life span

Dennis Paulson dpaulson@ups.edu
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:33:30 -0700

Ola Fincke wrote:

>I think the record for adult Odonata goes to Megaloprepus caerulatus -
>>From raised larvae, marked at emergence, we have records of about 8
>>months for one individual.
>But 'old' individuals can be 5 months, so average life span is
>likely only 4 or so.

Many tropical species spend the dry season as adults, and in regions
in which the rainy season lasts only 5-6 months, they presumably live
at least 6-7 months.  Ola's Megaloprepus, as far as I know, are the
only such odonates that have actually been marked and resighted to
support this hypothesis.  We need biologists willing to spend a year
at a tropical field station and have fun marking all the dragonflies
they see!

>But if you're talking larvae, many Canadian dragonflies have the
>record I think, of several years.

Corbet (1999) lists 5 years as the longest known larval development
(Cordulia aenea in Japan), with suppositions up to 8 or even 10 years
in some high-latitude, high-altitude cold-water species.
--
Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 253-879-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-879-3352