[Odonata-l] late fliers

Gordon Hutchings sea-trek@islandnet.com
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:13:35 -0700

This isn't a big deal at all, but just interesting from my point of view.
Here on the Pacific Coast, our lord of the late fliers belongs to Aeshna
umbrosa so I was quite surpised last night when I saw obviously an aeshnid
flying in my front yard at 9:45. My sensor lights were going on when I
walked past them and they had been doing this for probably 1/2 an hour. I
susupected Aeshna californica as this is still the main aeshnid about these
days here in June (haven't seen too many A.multicolor yet), I went and got
my handy net and swooped this baby. Sure enough, it was a female
A.californica. Has anyone else at this latitude (Washington and B.C. area)
seen this species fly this late?
Gord Hutchings
Victoria, B.C.