[Odonata-l] Fwd: Fw: June Dragonfly Count - Kingsville (Kleberg County)

Dennis Paulson dpaulson@ups.edu
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:13:26 -0700

Received from Bob Behrstock, I thought this was worth forwarding to
the list.  It is fascinating to have such a quantification of adult
populations, and the results are really thought-provoking.  Why so
few damselflies?  I have had occasion to think their numbers were
inversely proportional to those of Anisoptera, especially when there
are lots of predatory species such as pondhawks.  What is there about
Brachymesia gravida that makes it more abundant than all the other
species together?

One thing that should be added to such counts is a reasonably
complete description or list of the different habitats visited and
their relative proportions.  It's quite obvious that this count
circle included virtually no running water, which in Texas would have
had Hetaerina and Argia galore.  The only stream species on the list
is the single Dythemis nigrescens.  I suggest that Anax junius was so
uncommon because the date is in-between the time of spring emergence
of northbound migrants and fall arrival of southbound breeders.  The
complete absence of Pantala species is also noteworthy, perhaps
indicating not much rain recently.

I have seen the Orthemis discolor photos, and they look like that
species.  Hopefully Tom will be able to get a voucher specimen, as
there are only two prior records for Texas.

Some day summer odonate counts will be routine in many areas.

Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 253-879-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-879-3352
University of Puget Sound                       e-mail dpaulson@ups.edu
1500 N. Warner, #1088
Tacoma, WA 98416-1088