[Odonata-l] dragonflies reclassified

Klaas-Douwe Dijkstra klaas-douwe.dijkstra at naturalis.nl
Mon Sep 2 12:08:19 PDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

Last week two papers appeared that hope to contribute to the understanding
and communication of odonate relationships. Both are open access, so please
share these links with your colleagues.

Nineteen experts have joined forces to review published evidence and
provide a new consensus classification of extant Odonata:

Many problems remain to be resolved, especially in Zygoptera. Further
taxonomic proposals, based on the most complete global damselfly tree to
date, are presented here:
Many of you helped with information and material, for which I and my
co-authors Vincent, Rory, Frank and Jan are most grateful!

You may already have seen these papers, in which case I apologize for
double posting.

Best wishes! KD

P.S. Not open access, but perhaps also of interest is this paper on how habitat
variation and wing coloration affect wing shape evolution in dragonflies:

Klaas-Douwe 'KD' B. DijkstraNaturalis Biodiversity Centre
PO Box 9517, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
kd.dijkstra at naturalis.nl