[Odonata-l] water mites on exuviae

DAVID ALLAN FITCH dallanfitc at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 19:28:32 PDT 2017

I brought back some Boyeria exuvia from Spain in 2005, and my luggage with my binoculars and the vial of exuvia got misrouted on my way home.  I was concerned that customs officials might find these and object that I had not declared I was bringing "insects" into the country - but I reasoned that exuvia aren't insects,  any more than importing  a cast off suit of clothes would be importing a human being.

When the vial appeared, several mites had hatched and were cruising around inside the vial, leaving trails of spider-thread-like filaments.  "No problem, smuggler buddy," Mike Veit pointed out to me.  "Those may be arthropods but they're not insecta."

David Allan Fitch, Attorney at Law
Law Offices
33 Bedford St., Suite 9
Lexington, MA  02420